Tuesday 7 August 2012

Absolutely thrilled with starscapes on the Nikon D7000



Tonight was my first real opportunity to use the new Nikon D7000 to take star shots, and I am absolutely enthralled and delighted with the results. Above is a photo of the Cassiopeia area of the sky. I used a reasonably high ISO, of 1250, and an exposure of about 10 seconds. I really didn't expect to see so many stars in such a short exposure. This is amazing. I am really, really, greatly impressed. I've used the full resolution image with 90% jpeg settings so that you can appreciate what I am talking about.

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant picture Anthony. I reckon you're going to get some excellent night-sky shots with that.
    ... Mark (EI7IS)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I hope to get a few good ones for my book about Newgrange - they would go well in that !

      Delete
  2. Really brilliant,,,,,,, where did you take it from, not downtown Drogheda I presume,,,,, at home I have great views to the West, N ,S , but to the East I have the bright glow of Newry,,,, I put a black bag over the street light on front of my house,,,, big long pole,,,,hi improves things dramatically,,, have fun with the camera...
    Seamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seamus,

      Indeed it wasn't taken in the centre of Drogheda HI HI. It was taken at Oldbridge, along the Boyne, about half a kilometre west of the motorway. I was out shooting the bridge and decided to try some star shots. So glad I did!

      Hope life is treating you well.

      Delete