Thursday 14 February 2013

Orion over Newgrange

This is a photo taken tonight showing the constellation Orion, flanked by Taurus the bull to the upper right and Sirius the dog star to lower left, sitting above Newgrange. I went for another filtered artistic look (created in Photoshop). I like this look because the original photo is very red and orange due to light pollution. It was just starting to cloud over when this photo was taken. I think the cloud helps to enhance the photo, although it does demonstrate just how much the Boyne Valley suffers from light pollution these days. In ancient times Orion was venerated as a god and warrior constellation in many guises. He is seen to control the movements of the sun, moon and planets, which pass through his upraised hand. Also in this image, just above right of the V-shaped head of Taurus, is the bright planet Jupiter, somewhat obscured by cloud.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Anthony. I need a permission for this photo. I can give you all necessary credits and make you quite famous as a photographer/artist. I'm a DJ, and this picture could be good as a cover art for my new music set.
    Here's my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/spacemind2012
    I'm waiting for your answer. Please, contact me:
    spacemind2012@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete